Kuroko's Basketball Omnibus, Vol. 4: Includes Vols. 7 & 8

Kuroko's Basketball Omnibus, Vol. 4: Includes Vols. 7 & 8 - Tadatoshi Fujimaki 4.5 stars

The more I read this series, the more I enjoy it (especially when I read them in order!) I accidently read Vol 5 before Vol 4, so needless to say I felt a little lost in Vol 5, kept wondering who this Teppei guy was, and I couldn’t figure out why. A quick check at Goodreads and low and behold, I skipped a volume. I immediately hopped over to Amazon and purchased the missing volume, instead of requesting it (again) and waiting the week for it to be transferred between libraries (and a special shout out to the Romulus Public Library for having such a great catalog of graphic novels and fulfilling hold requests so quickly!).

Teppei returns to the team, and we get a little background on the founder of Seirin’s basketball team. Teppei has been in the hospital for months for an undisclosed illness, and he’s eager to get back on the court. He was the team’s ace prior to his bout of misfortune, and he was the center, providing a powerful presence between the paint, something that the current team is missing. Tall, athletic, and dominating, he helped the team stand firm again all competitors, and got the team as far as Finals. Then he was hospitalized, and unable to play, so Seirin experienced a stunning defeat. Now he’s back, and eager to make amends for his absence.

With the Winter Cup coming up fast, the team goes to a summer training camp at an inexpensive inn (read: slight run-down, few amenities). Riko, who can’t boil water, informs the team she will be preparing their meals. Ugh. They fear they will starve to death, and after seeing the results of a few practice meals, I didn’t blame them.

After a grueling day working out on the beach, followed by a practice session in the gym, guess who shows up at the inn. Why, yes, our favorite rivals, Shutoku! I loved the interaction between Kagami and Midorima, as well as pretty much everything else about this volume. It was fun to read, the action sequences were awesome, and Fujimaki’s art is getting crisper and more compelling every volume. At one point I would have said that I enjoy Haikyu!! better, but now it is a toss up. Both of these sports manga series are excellent, and I look forward to every new release. Now, if only I could get my act together and read them in the correct order!

Grade: 4.5 stars